Serotonin or 5-HT is a neurotransmitter. It modulates learning, memory, mood, cognition, reward, and numerous physiological processes such as vomiting and vasoconstriction. Most of the serotonin is located in the GI tract and the rest in platelet and CNS. Most of the antidepressant such as SSRI and SNRI helps to increase level of serotonin. Low serotonin levels can be caused by a variety of factors. There are two main reasons for this: Your body isn’t making enough of it, which might be linked to vitamin and nutritional inadequacies; your body can generate it but isn’t utilizing it effectively;”says Dr. Rameez Shaikh, M.D., a psychiatrist. “There is a link between eating and one’s emotions. What we eat has an influence on how we feel. Many foods naturally contain serotonin, but our bodies also require additional nutrients to generate it, such as tryptophan and omega-3 fatty acids.”
11 Natural ways to increase Serotonin :
- GET MORE TRYPTOPHAN : Some of the best foods to eat include lean meats, eggs, and dairy foods.
- BOOK A MASSAGE : Serotonin levels often peak after a session, most likely because of a 30% reduction in cortisol.
- BOOST YOUR B VITAMINS : Most people benefit from a dose of about 50-100mg per day, but check with your doctor.
- SOAK UP THE SUNSHINE: Whenever you’re outside in the sunlight, you kickstart your brain’s serotonin production.
- ADD MORE MAGNESIUM TO YOUR DIET: To add more to your diet, look to foods like dark leafy greens, fish, bananas and beans.
- FIND WAYS TO BE MORE POSITIVE: Figure out what makes you feel good about yourself and the world around you, and do more of that!
- REDUCE SUGAR INTAKE: Increased sugar consumption usually backfires, as it typially leads to a mood crash.
- MEDITATE : Serotonin levels increase in response to any form of meditation that raises 5-HIAA, an acid that the brain needs when making serotonin.
- EXERCISE MORE OFTEN: Anything that gets your heart pumping can elevate your serotonin levels.
- GET MORE VITAMIN C : Some studies indicate vitamin C has natural antidepressant properties.
- PRACTICE SELF-CARE TO REDUCE STRESS: Start looking at ways to prioritise self-care in your week and more serotonin will follow.
The bottom line.
There are a variety of variables that can either boost or decrease serotonin levels in our bodies. By incorporating these basic techniques into your daily routine, you may improve your mood and general well-being.
Dr. Rameez Shaikh (MBBS, MD, MIPS) is a consultant Psychiatrist & Psychotherapist in Nagpur and works at Mind & Mood Clinic. He believes that faith-based treatment, encompassing spiritual, physical, and mental health, will provide you with the long-lasting knowledge and tool to find happiness and wholeness again. In his spare time, he’s an aspiring singer and writer.