1. Alcohol interferes with the processes of memory and with new learning and can lead to memory impairment.
2. Alcohol interrupts normal sleep patterns and reduces REM sleep, which affects energy, mood and anxiety level.
3. Alcohol is a direct central nervous system depressant that interferes with mood stability and promotes anxiety and depression.
4. Alcohol may provide relief in short term when you are anxious, but leads to rebound anxiety in long term, which makes matters worse.
5. Alcohol contributes to increased irritability and impulsivity.
Dr. Rameez Shaikh “We must do all we can to empower communities to protect our youth and to encourage healthy behavior free from alcohol binge drinking and other forms of alcohol abuse. “
6. Alcohol may lead to lowered inhibitions and negative choices that intensifies anxiety, shame and depression.
7. Increases the likelihood of using other substances like tobacco and opium.
8. Decreases efficacy of other drugs, including anti-anxiety and antidepressant medications.
9. May be fatal in combination with other medication like benzodiazepine.
10. May trigger memories of past traumatic experiences that involved alcohol, leading to increased shame and greater distress, depression, anxiety or worse.
If you think you may be dependent on alcohol, seek treatment and support from our deaddiction specialist at Mind & Mood Clinic, Nagpur.
Dr. Rameez Shaikh (MBBS, MD, MIPS) is a consultant Psychiatrist & Psychotherapist in Nagpur and works at Mind & Mood Clinic. He believes that faith-based treatment, encompassing spiritual, physical, and mental health, will provide you with the long-lasting knowledge and tool to find happiness and wholeness again. In his spare time, he’s an aspiring singer and writer.