Good News for patients of Schizophrenia! The Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies which is a part of Johnson & Johnson, have announced that the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved the first-and-only six monthly injectable for the treatment of schizophrenia. The drug is atypical antipsychotic and is named as Invega Hayfera™ (paliperidone palmitate).
“This is great news ! Schizophrenia is chronic illness and requires long term management and many a times compliance is a big issues in India, considering the stigma and non availability of psychiatrist in Rural Areas of India. This six monthly injection will help to increase compliance and decrease the burden of regularly visiting Psychiatrist ” commented Dr. Rameez Shaikh, MD Consultant Psychiatrist of Mind & Mood Clinic, Nagpur.
What is Schizophrenia ?
Schizophrenia is mental illness characterized by delusion, hallucination, disorganized speech and behavior.
Symptoms of Schizophrenia
1.Muttering to self.
Patients of Schizophrenia keeping talking to self and deny when confronted . Sometimes patient keep mumbling or whispering to self in front of mirror and gesturing suggestive of talking to someone.
2. Social Withdrawal .
Patient does not mix well with friends and family and avoid going to social gathering . His academic or works suffers and there is decline in functioning.
Defined as false beliefs. Common Delusion in Schizophrenia are :
A. Delusions of persecution: The belief that someone or something means to do you physical or emotional harm.
- “Believing that your neighbor is entering your home while you are sleeping in order to poison your food.”
- “Believing that someone has done black magic.”
- “Neighbors are after me and has kept camera/ CCTV to watch over me.
- ” Someone is trying to harm me by poisoning my food “
B. Delusions of grandeur: The belief that you are an important, powerful, or a famous person such as a member of royalty, a deity, or a superhero with special powers such as an ability to know the future. For instance,
- ” I can predict future”
- ” Whatever I think becomes reality”
C. Delusions of reference: The belief that something or someone is referring to you when they are not. For instance,
- “Patient may believe something you read in the newspaper refers to you or your thoughts”
- “An actor talking in a movie is sending you a personal message through the screen”
- “People are talking about me”
These are sensory experiences that are not comprehensible to others but feel perfectly vivid and real to the person experiencing them. Almost 70% of people with schizophrenia will have hallucinations.
- Auditory hallucinations— It affects 83 % of patients and patient usually hear voices of people or elementary sound like music that aren’t there. Sound are usually abusive and comment on patient behavior which can be distressing to patients.
- Visual ones (57%), such as seeing body parts or unidentifiable things. Patient complain of seeing” ghost” or “saaya ” which are not visible to others.
- Tactile or sense-of-touch ones, such as feeling bugs crawling on your body or something is inside me
- Olfactory or scent-related hallucinations (27%) in which patient complains of usually pungent smell or fragrance and associate this with supernatural power or ghosts.
- Gustatory hallucinations (14%), which involve your sense of taste. Patients complains of tasteless food or metallic taste.
Treatment for Schizophrenia in Nagpur
Whether you’re looking for a psychiatrist or psychologist to diagnose and treat your Schizophrenia, we can help. At Mind & Mood Clinic in Nagpur, we take a holistic approach to diagnosing Schizophrenia and design customized treatment plans for each individual. For more information on our diverse range of treatment options for Schizophrenia or to set up a consultation, fill out our contact form or call us at +919309247051.
Mind & Mood Clinic
Neuro-Psychiatry | Deaddiction | Sexology | Counseling
Address: Anjuman Complex, F/12 , 1st Floor, Sadar, Nagpur, Maharashtra 440001
Google map : https://g.page/mindmoodclinic?share
Website : https://hellomind.in/
Dr. Rameez Shaikh (MBBS, MD, MIPS) is a consultant Psychiatrist, Sexologist & Psychotherapist in Nagpur and works at Mind & Mood Clinic. He believes that science-based treatment, encompassing spiritual, physical, and mental health, will provide you with the long-lasting knowledge and tool to find happiness and wholeness again.
Dr. Rameez Shaikh, a dedicated psychiatrist , is a beacon of compassion and understanding in the realm of mental health. With a genuine passion for helping others, he combines his extensive knowledge and empathetic approach to create a supportive space for his patients.