Counseling is type of helping or advice giving leading to better coping skills. It is a process in which Psychotherapist or counselor explore problems and helps to identify solutions.
Types of Counseling :
- Marriage and Relationship counseling.
- Career and Guidance counseling.
- Rehabilitation counseling.
- Mental health Problems counseling.
- Alcohol or Drug abuse counseling.
- Child Counseling.
Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT ) :
It is the most commonly used for anxiety disorders. Research has shown it to be effective in the treatment of panic disorder, social anxiety disorder, and generalized anxiety disorder , phobias like agoraphobia, , among many other conditions.
How CBT Works :
- Identify problem causing situation.
- Become aware of your emotions, thoughts and beliefs about these problems.
- Identify inaccurate or negative thinking
- Reshape distorted and negative thinking.
Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) therapy:
Highly Researched and structured psychotherapy for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder ( PTSD).
EMDR uses a eight-step approach that includes:
- Step 1: Detailed History-taking
- Step 2: Preparing the client
- Step 3: Assessing and focusing the target memory
- Step 4-7: Processing the memory to adaptive resolution
- Step 8: Evaluating treatment results.
OCD Therapy includes :
Exposure and response prevention( ERP):
Based on exposing feared experiences within a safe environment in order to help reduce any associated mental distress.
Education about OCD that also serves to validate, support and empower patients..
Cognitive behavioral therapy
REBT (Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy)